President’s MessageHello and welcome to the website of the University of Florida’s American Student Dental Association. As the largest student group at the College of Dentistry, it is our privilege to introduce you to the world of Organized Dentistry and provide you with the resources to get informed, involved, and inspired about your future profession.
Informed: Education is an essential part of this journey that you have just begun to becoming a health professional. In ASDA we provide you with much of the knowledge of the dental world that occurs outside of the classroom. This includes:
- News about legislation that has a direct impact on dentistry and/or dental students and how to be “engaged” in the process.
- Exposure to companies and businesses that affect dentists though our “Lunch n’ Learns.” You can expect to learn about such topics as: Dental Malpractice Insurance, Financial Planning, Marketing your practice, Dental Equipment and Merchandise, Dental Practice Corporations, and so much more–while enjoying a complementary lunch!
- Learning the benefits of an ASDA membership and subsequently the benefits of continued membership in organize dentistry (i.e., ADA, Florida Dental Association, etc.)
Involved: As in past years, we have been know to host some of the school’s most prominent events, such as:
- Mighty Molar: An outdoor relay competition between classes and faculty that also serves as a fundraiser.
- Loupes Fair: Loupes can be costly so you need to make sure you chose the right one for you. So we invite multiple loupes vendors in one room so you can compare all the various products and “try before you buy” all the brands to make an informed decision when you purchase a pair.
- Business Symposium: This event is a jam packed day with a series of workshops that helps to fill the gap of knowledge most of us have about running a business and the challenge we will face after graduation.
- Spring Synergy Vendor Fair: The largest combined group of dental vendors, products and services in one place for you to evaluate and add a prize raffle and it’s an event not to be missed!
- And many more other events!
Inspired: Did some of you catch the bug? It’s inevitable–ASDA Fever is contagious! Our hope is that through awareness and involvement you become energized enough to want to be a part of the process. Perhaps you will become one of the next leaders in our chapter or even a leader at the national level. Or that we simply help you to become an active citizen of the health community, so that you can influence and impact the change that will benefit the future of our profession and the patients we serve.Remember, when we as dentists work together, the world smiles, and every smile has the power to change the world. So here is a step to changing the world. Sincere regards, Neila Nicholson
Florida ASDA President
DMD Candidate ’18